Many workers who have suffered an injury on the job are unsure about whether they are eligible to receive workers’ compensation payments. This has been more of an issue recently with people working from home and other remote locations.


The process of finding the right information can be lengthy and confusing. Every compensation claim is different and dependent upon how the injury occurred, the people and type of work involved, the work arrangement agreed on, and other things such as which legislation applies to your State or Territory.  

With so many things to consider it helps to know where to start and narrow down your search from there.  

There are a number of questions that we are often asked by people that have been injured at work.


What do I have to do if I am injured? 

There are obligations on injured workers to report injuries and accidents as soon as possible.  It is important to report any incident straight away, and to ask your employer for copies of any documents that you need to fill out. 

It is also important to record in writing exactly what happened to cause the injury and get contact details of any witnesses.


What if I want to make a workers’ compensation claim? 

You need to fill in a workers’ compensation claim form as soon as possible.  Employers are obliged to give employees that form if they ask for it.   

You will also have to get an ACT workers’ compensation medical certificate from your doctor.  Those two documents have to be provided to your employer as soon as possible.  You are not entitled to be paid some forms of compensation until your claim forms have been lodged.


What if I am working from home? 

Increasingly, people are doing some or all of their job from home.  Just because your injury occurs at home, or outside of the office, does not automatically mean that you are not entitled to workers’ compensation.  


Will I lose my job if I lodge a workers’ compensation claim? 

There are provisions in place to prevent employers from terminating an injured worker’s employment following a workplace injury.


Where can I get help with making a claim? 

WorkSafe ACT can provide information and guidance about lodging a workers compensation claim. You can contact their Workers Compensation Hotline on 13 22 81 or contact them via their website:


If you have any trouble getting documents or information from your employer, or issues in relation to payment of workers’ compensation entitlements by insurers, you can contact us at MEJ – we have been specialising in workplace injury law in the ACT for 30 years and can offer you professional advice, guidance and services. 

MEJ can be contacted by phone on 02 6257 2999 or email at 

Need our help?

Contact Us